Sunday, October 23, 2005

the end, or is it the beginning

So i woke up this morning after my 6:25. I was a little tired but nothing to bad. Mainly, based on a few things i had read, I decided to quit this attempt at polyphasic sleep. There were a number of reasons. There are a number of testers after failed attempts that mentioned how they weren't even getting full use of of their day before and need to first concentrate on doing this and getting other parts of their life in order and start being completely healthy before they start. Another problem right now is the schedule. I could probably make it happen, but im already sacrificing a lot and eventually there are situations im going to run into where naps will be impossible or i will have ot consistently go more than 4 hours wihtout one. Not having freedom with my sleep goes a long with this and is another major factor. I discussed a few posts back that this is what i was missing the most, me being able to decide when i needed to go to bed.....and me sleeping in every once in a wihle if needed or just laying in bed thinking. The free relaxing thought beforehand, the dreams during, and the absense of an annoying alarm clock after words all make a good 8 hour sleep worth it. (now it can be somewhat successfully argued that once switched to full uberman my dreams would be there and the annoying alarm clock wouldn't, but i still wouldn't have the freedom and time to just think before i went to bed) The problem is that under the Uberman schedule, sleep becomes job-like. All the joys of sleeping are traded in for this structured view of sleep that sees sleep as just a nother necessary task that you should control, rather then a calming, restorative, relaxing break from it all. Another reason, going along with scheduling concerns, is simply becuase I constantly have to deal with a monophasic world and polyphasic sleep is simply just not accepted.....yet. Obviously there needs to be much more research and attention paid to this, I just dont feel like im the kid that should be doing that. I don't have a flexible enough schedule to adapt and im still young (20) and dont need to run the risk of doing something like this when my body is still growing and changing. In general no matter what age, you are taking a huge risk and although i do personally strongly believe that a polyphasic sleep schedule is healthy and possibly the science hasn't proven that you aren't slowly killing you brain and body. This a huge reason for me quiting, I decided that i shouldn't gamble with my health and mind when there is very little if any science backing this. You could mention that Leonardo and Buckminster lived long fruitful lives on the schedule, but you'd also be assuming that we have extensive knowledge about everything sleep related with them......and we really dont have a clue, just guesses, atleast in the case of leonardo..... and Buckminster, if his story is true, only did it for a couple of years. Obviously someone has to take the risks, either and preferebly in a sleep laboratory, or on their own and then force sleep researchers to take a look at them a few months or years into his schedule and compare it to a regular sleeper. This, right now, is not me. Maybe when i am over 25 and have total control over my schedule and am leading a really healthy, organized lifestyle i will give it another try.

What sucks for me the most is i set out to make this blog in efforts to prove the cycle's validity and provide a positive push for polyphasic sleep, but i end it having aided the other side of the argument, giving them one more failed internet blog. This is the hardest part for me to give up. I really have to swallow my pride and bite my tongue because i have that "i told you so" coming from the ignorant souls who now nothing about polyphasic sleep or sleep in general. As i said before though, i believe stronger in its possibility and potential fruitfulness now after i have given it up then before i started.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on, you can't quit now. I read your blog for inspiration to keep going. I think you tried to adjust to the schedule too rapidly, instead of taking a more gradual approach. I've been trying it for a week, and it's been hard, I face most of the same problems as you, but i'm not about to give up yet. I go to school & work 2 jobs, so my schedule makes it really hard to nap during the day, but I plan on figuring something out. You can see my progress here: http://www.trackslife.com/user/abj/101905/naps
I've been averaging between 4 - 6 hours of sleep a night, which is a lot more than I'm supposed to be sleeping, but I figured that it's going to take at least a month to switch into a somewhat regular schedule. Anyways, I hope you'll reconsider and maybe take a less aggressive approach to it.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home